You may have noticed in the last few years Google has added extra results like map, news, products and others. This is what is called a one box search. Meaning you don’t have to go to google maps or google news to do a search. You just go to www.google.com and do a search and Google will decided to give you relavant results from these other services. When marketing a website online you want to make sure you show up on search engines when people type in relavant keywords. It is important to know how to be listed as many times on the page as you can.
When a search is made on google most people only think about SEO and PPC. Don’t forget about Google’s other services:
- Google News – You can get in here by issuing a press release. You can distribute them through sites like www.prweb.com and donate at least $200.
- Google Local – Sign up with Google local. This will show up when people type in local searches that include your zip code or city name. It helps to have an address that is closest to the center of the city.
- Google Books – If you have published a book or paper you can submit it to Google books. Searches that include the term “book” now show results from Google books.
- Google Images – some searches return pictures. Be descriptive with your picture names. Use alt text. Link to your pictures with anchor text.
- Google Products – formally known as froogle. You can upload products, real estate, and all kinds of things to Google products. Sometimes Google will show Products from this database.
This is all very new and you should keep an eye on the different Google verticals, trying to use them all.
Any time a search is made, any one of these services can be served up on the search engine result page (SERP). Sign up for each one and optimize your content so it appears on all results pages.